Sheri's Service

Sheri's Service

Thursday, June 30, 2011

A dozen roses up lake.....

























































































A week ago the kids and I embarked on a trip up lake...it was a trip Sheri and I had planned for all of us to go on back in January. We stayed at the cabin we have in Lucerne (with Kevin and Mary Amsden), we stayed for seven days. The trip up was super rough... the roughest I've seen it...but we made it in safe and mostly sound (Bryce was worried he told me later...he asked why after he prayed it seemed to get worse...I said we made it didn't we?...he smiled and said Ya we did!....sometimes life is like that). The day after we got there we set off for Stehekin (the 17th). I had brought along a dozen long stem white roses (the symbol for purity). We placed one rose at each of our favorite spots: The cabin in Lucerne, the landing boat docks in Stehekin at our favorite boat slip, the "Be Still" cross (I added a picture and daisies there), Nick Glenn's cabin, the Bakery, Upper and Lower Rainbow Falls (we picnicked at the upper falls the day I asked her to marry me), The Ranch, and High Bridge. If you are counting that's nine. We then set off down lake for Domke Falls. Alyssa, Bryce and I each set a rose in the water off the back of the boat by the falls.








On June 20th it would have been our 19th Anniversary. 21 years ago Sheri's family invited me (we had just started dating) to join them at the Stehekin Valley Ranch for a fun weekend....we all had a blast and ate very well. Sheri's family came up to Lucernce to joint Alyssa, Bryce and I...and we all went up to the Ranch for dinner on the 20th...along with a few friends. The food was great as always (Sheri and I had planned to spend our anniversary at the Ranch...so I did).








It dawned on me that it has been 21 years since I have been up lake with out her. It is still one of my (and our) favorite places to go....so we're going to the cabin again this weekend for more R and R... and fishing, and swimming, and hiking, and playing with friends, (and healing). There's a little part of me that feels a little closer to her up there...maybe because my mind is clearer. I hope to go back up a lot this year and in the future...maybe even once by myself.








Anyway, I know a lot of you have followed our journey, prayed for us, celebrated our triumphs, and mourned Sheri's passing. I thought about stopping this blog all together. After some thought I've decided that this blog has been a blessing to many, and especially to Sheri and I. I will try to blog every now and then to keep you posted on how Alyssa, Bryce and I are getting along on our new journey. I continue to thank God for the time I was blessed to spend with Sheri, and look forward to seeing her again some day....until then we will keep looking up.








Brett

5 comments:

lisasmith said...

Please Keep blogging Bret, it is so healing for us as well. I am sure it is hard to do, but so amazing! Know we all continue to pray for you and the kids, and the new journey you are about to take! I can't wait to get home and see "Sheri's Garden!"

K said...

This blog IS a blessing. Praying for your family.

Tammy Kirby

D. Soliday said...

Although I rarely comment . . . I have been faithful to check in here, as I'm sure countless others do. Continuing to look up with you!

Mo said...

Hope you are all doing ok - one day at a time. My heart and prayers are with you.

Heather said...

I hope you do keep the blog. It's still named Smile and this post makes me smile. Thank you.